Time to get serious about the upcoming Copper Classic. The next critical race preparation date is coming very soon. I strongly encourage you to save this date and plan to attend.
Here is what we need to do: Locate and set the wood stakes into the trail and mark the stakes using “Sharpie” markers with course directional information. We also plant the stakes for the Course Worker & Mile Markers signs. On the Friday before the race, we go back out onto the course and staple directional arrows, “wrong way” & “danger” etc. signs to the appropriate stakes.
Date: Sunday March 3, 2019
Time: Ready to work at 8:30am
Location: Last year’s location of the Copper Classic Registration area, San Manuel Middle School parking lot at Erickson & Avenue D in San Manuel.
All work materials will be supplied. Just bring your bike, water, snack and dress appropriately based on the weather.
The more volunteers the quicker this work is done.
Outstanding turning out at last night’s club meeting. There were 47 TRS members, family members, friends and several new prospect members in the audience. A few highlights from the meeting.
• Update on OHVAG and Az. Sate Parks & Trails.
• Red Springs Single track project report.
• Copper Classic race planning discussion.
• Special guest, Michael Battaglia from On Any Moto invited TRS to an upcoming Beta Demo Ride.
• Carlos Serrano explained a new water jet cleaning system he has in his shop. If you have metal or plastic parts needing to be refreshed, check it out.
• An in depth discussion about the merits of the SPOT & Garmin systems, which provided emergency response communications. Strongly recommended for us off-road riders.
• Two great memorable stories by dirt bike riders Russell & Kevin. Both involving dead animals, in retrospect kind of strange. But hearing the ostrich and rat stories had all of us laughing really hard. Thanks for sharing Russell & Kevin.
Pics of Russell telling his story and the audience.
Helmets off to all the TRS members and friends who came out to help get the race course ready for race day.
A special thanks to Kelly V. & Anthony B. for putting in OT getting the course ready. Nice work guys.
A large portion of a fence adjacent to the “grass track” was cleared of the vines. This now will allow a superior spectator viewing area for the Big Bike race. Much safer than the arrangement used last year.
This is the name list captured today of all the volunteers, but if someone’s name is missing please reply.
Gary M., Jerry K., Jim G., Chris D., Tim Mc., Charlie H., Chris A., Diego M., Alvaro M., Kelly V., Anthony B., Brad S., Kevin H., Todd D., Eric T., Chuck I., John B., George W.
While looking through an old issue of Dirt Rider (March 2013) I saw this editorial from Chris Denison. This message is still very true today. As dirt bikers we need to keep the sound down. Read & ride on!
Final notice for the February club meeting. Be sure to attend, expect to hear some great stories about favorite or most memorable rides. I am especially interested in hearing the ostrich story told by Russell Hacker.
Date: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 Time: 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM (social 1/2 hour starts at 6:00pm) Place: East Coast Super Subs, 187 N Park Ave near the U of A.